This history was transcribed exactly as written from
"Young's History of Lafayette County, Missouri by Hon. Wm. Young, Illustrated,
Volume 1, Copyright, 1910, B.F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana." Pages 351 - 361

-Continued-
{354}
LAFAYETTE COUNTY, MISSOURI.

hotel was built and conducted by Henry Meinecke, on the corner of what is now known as St. Louis and Bogg streets.

     These, with possibly a few others, constituted all there was of the hamlet before it was platted in 1868.

     A postoffice was established in 1870, with August Heckman as postmaster. In January, 1877, the place was incorporated, with John Smith as its first mayor. The earliest school house was erected in 1874, of brick, and cost one thousand three hundred dollars. Fifty pupils attended the first term, which was taught by William F. Walkenhorst, at a salary of fifty dollars per month. Dr. F. L. Flanders was the first physician in the town, coming from Illinois, and removed to Kansas City in 1881. The first religious services were conducted by the Methodist Episcopal people, under Rev. C. Bruegger.

     The settlement was largely made of German people, and is today mostly of German or German-descent population--a thrifty, well-to-do class of most loyal, excellent citizenship. In 1880 the federal census gave Concordia a population of three hundred and ninety-one, but by another count in 1881--one year later--the population was about five hundred and fifty. The business was then represented as follows: Five dry goods stores; five groceries; two lumber yards; three blacksmith shops; two shoe shops: one harness shop; one bank; two boot and shoe stores; two furniture dealers; two mills; four saloons; two meat markets; a livery stable; two drug stores; three hardware and implement houses; two hotels; four doctors; one millinery store. Of the schools, it may be stated that at this date--1910--the enrollment is one hundred and twenty-six; teachers employed, three; average wages paid teachers, sixty-six dollars and thirty cents; district total valuation, three hundred thousand dollars; levy on each hundred dollars, thirty cents.

     That the people who settled at this town were of the intelligent, progressive type, it only needs to be said that as early as 1880 the Concordia Library Society was organized, then consisting of eighteen members, with W.F. Walkenhorst as president and D.H. Smith, librarian. It was the aim of the promoters to furnish a suitable place for the rising young to while away their spare hours, instead of visiting saloons.

     For one reason and another, with the passing years, this library went down, but the Lutheran college and other public school library facilities have in a measure taken its place. The books are now in the public school library.

     Concordia has always been a good milling point. The first mill in the neighborhood was a treadmill by which oxen and horses were used as a propelling force, treading on a large half-inclined wheel. This was erected west of town by Fritz Rope; but later it was burned. Then the proprietor of that improvised mill erected a steam mill, with two run of stones, in town and it

{355}

LAFAYETTE COUNTY, MISSOURI.

was run until 1882, when it also was burned. It was owned by John F. Meyer, who died, then John S. Klinkenberg bought it and under his ownership it was destroyed.

     Henry Baepler & Sons built a mill, two and a half stories high, in 1877, which had a capacity of four thousand barrels of flour annually, the product being chiefly sold in the markets of St. Louis. Its cost was ten thousand dollars.

     The present milling industry of Concordia is in the hands of the Concordia Mill and Elevator Company, stock concern, organized in 1908, the capacity of the plant being one hundred and twenty-five barrels daily.

POSTOFFICE BUSINESS.

     Before the town was laid out there was a country postoffice west of the present town site two miles, known as "Castle," where M. Cook was postmaster. Then it was removed to the home of Rev. J. F. Biltz, near the old brick church, a half of a mile out from the present office. Postmaster Biltz changed the name to "Concordia," probably after his old alma mater, the Lutheran college at Fort Wayne, Indiana, called Concordia. The postmasters who served after this change were as follows: Messrs. Hackman, Scheikhardt, F. C. Cook, E. F. Ninas, Althoff, Henry Elling, William Doblie, Julius Vogt, Jr., A. E. Bruns, and the present incumbent, William F. Walkenhorst.

     The office was changed to a third-class office in 1906. It has four rural free delivery routes running out from it. The first was established in July, 1901, twenty-five and seven-eighths miles long; one known as No. 2, in July, 1903, that is twenty-four miles long; No. 3, established in July, 1903, twenty-two and five eighths miles long, and No. 4, established in May, 1904, eighteen miles in length.

INCORPORATION MATTERS.

     Concordia was incorporated in 1877, as a village, and in 1883, as a city of the fourth class. The last chairman under village life was Fred C. Cook, and the mayors have been: 1883, Fred C. Cook; 1886, Henry Ficken; 1888, F. C. Cook; 1890, Henry Ficken; 1892, Henry Ficken; 1894, Henry W. Thieman; 1896, Henry W. Thieman; 1898, Louis H. Mehl; 1900, Henry W. Thieman; 1902, George Duensing; 1904, George Duensing; 1906, Max Doblie and still mayor in 1910.

{356}

LAFAYETTE COUNTY, MISSOURI.

CHURCHES, LODGES, ETC.

     At present the only lodge in Concordia is the Woodmen of the World. At one time the Odd Fellows sustained a lodge here, but owing to the general sentiment of both the Catholic, Baptist and Lutheran churches against secret orders, it went down.

     The churches represented here are the Lutheran, Evangelical (synod of North America), Methodist Episcopal, Baptist and Catholic. A history of each appears in the chapter on Churches.

1910 BUSINESS INTERESTS.

     Banks -- The Concordia Savings and the Farmers Bank.
     Bakery -- C. F. Schmidt.
     Blacksmiths -- E. L. Tieman, Max Doblie, Walter Roepe, William Everett.
     Brick and Tile Works -- Henry Basselmann.
     Concrete Works -- Louis Henck.
     Creamery -- Concordia Creamery.
     Drugs -- Alfred Kroencke, Dr. F. Schreiman, Dr. F. D. Lieser.
     Doctors -- Schreiman, J. A. Schneider and Oetting, Dr. F. D. Lieser
     Dentists -- W. A. Gruebebel, G. T. Scholle.
     Harness Shops -- A. E. Bruns, F. H. Brockmann.
     Elevators -- John S. Klingberg & Son, Concordia Elevator Company.
     Hardware -- Concordia Mercantile Company, Sodemann Hardware Company.
     Hotel -- The Central, by William Deke.
     Furniture -- Daniel Schlapper, E. Bergmann.
     General Dealers -- Concordia Mercantile Company, Mayer, Kroencke & Halston, A. H. Deke, J. P. Lohoefener,
                                   Bergman
Department Store.
     Grocers -- M. Tieman & Company, Martin Miller, John Lohmann, F. W. Petring & Son.
     Jewelers -- Henry Beissenherz, F. H. Freese.
     Lumber -- George Duensing.
     Livestock -- M. Tieman & Company, H. Mahnken & Son, Fritz Lampe.
     Livery Barn -- Henry Franz.
     Mills -- Concordia Milling and Elevator Company.
     Marble Works -- Herman Weimbeig.
     Millinery -- Minnie Tegeler, Alpers Sisters, Mary Kronsbein.
     Meat Market -- William Gieseke Bros.

Pages 357 - 359


Townships        Contact Me        Links

The data here may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These pages may not be reproduced in any format or presentation by other organizations or persons. Any person or organization desiring to use this material for profit or any form of presentation, must obtain the written consent of the owner or her legal representative.

This page revised January 19, 2004.

Made with 1st Page 2000 - Professional tools for real minds.

Copyright 2001 - 2004, Carmen F. Bein, All Rights Reserved

Glance extra meticulously, the 2 main different watches here are not the same. Replica watches sale : when they can be interesting wanting -you'd reckon that rolex replica sale likely have want to get them to be glance a little great deal extra several. A big variance not surprisingly is a instance. Some may be inside of a replica watches uk instance, as well as alternative is due to your Queen Electricity instance : while you might agree with the fact this in the basic check people glance just about a lot equally.