This history was transcribed exactly as written from
"Young's History of Lafayette County, Missouri by Hon. Wm. Young, Illustrated,
Volume 1, Copyright, 1910, B.F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana." Pages 351 - 361



     Newspaper -- The Concordian, J. J. Bredehoeft, editor and proprietor.
     Produce -- Concordia Produce Company.
     Photographer -- Abraham Davis.
     Shoemaker -- H. Schumacher.

   ;  In 1898 the town put in its present water works plant and has maintained and improved it ever since. In 1909 Runge Brothers installed the present lighting plant.


     The most exciting times experienced at the usually quiet, orderly town of Concordia was in the years 1863-64 and again in 1878.

     In 1863, during the Civil war strife, a party of thirty-five bushwhackers came across Davis creek to where Concordia now stands and killed Lewis Fiene, William Schornhorst, D. Karston and Conrad Bruns. They were made to stand up in a row, and when the shooting at them commenced some started to run, but all were finally killed.

     October 10, 1864, a report reached Concordia that a party of bushwhackers were in the immediate neighborhood, and the alarm was given by blowing a horn. The citizens gathered at the Lutheran church and about one hundred men rapidly organized, under command of Captain Pepper and Lieutenant Stuenkle. About one-half were mounted on horses. They started in hot pursuit of the bushwhackers, the mounted men dividing into two parties, the one going east and the other party northeast, in order to head them off before they could cross Davis creek. The party going east encountered the enemy, about one hundred strong, and observing the inequality, at once turned in retreat, closely followed by the outlaw band, who shot them down along the way, all being killed but five or six. Among those thus pursued and shot for protecting their home and town were the following: Capt. George Pepper, Lieut. Lewis Stuenkle, F. H. Walkenhorst, H. Freitag, Fritz Bruns, Fritz Meyer, C. Wahrenbrock, H. Wolters, Henry Reiter, William Bobenstab, H. Deus, Henry Gritman, Fritz Dettmer, Fritz Brockmann, Henry Meins, D. Carsons; H. Dickenhorst, Judge Prigmore and Henry Vrede were killed at their homes, on the same day, by the same inhuman bushwhackers.

     One of the most daring bank robberies of this country was executed on August 29, 1878, at half past one o'clock in the afternoon, at the usually quiet town of Concordia, this county. In brief the robbery occurred as follows: Henry Ficken (who still presides as cashier) was seated at his desk



engaged in writing, when two men presented themselves at the counter. One asked for change for a bill, which he laid down. Mr. Ficken turned to the money drawer to accommodate the stranger, and while his back was turned the robber, a powerful fellow, jumped over the counter and seized him in such a manner as to render him powerless to move or cry out. The other robber then presented a revolver at his head and demanded the money. They compelled him to open the safe, took out the valuables and placed them in a flour sack, and with a third confederate, who had been guarding the entrance outside, succeeded in making good their escape. They mounted on horses, which had been hitched near the bank in waiting for them, and rode toward the south and when not far out of town met many coming home from a picnic. They boasted to the crowd that they had robbed the bank and hurried on by the throng in gleeful triumph. Searching parties were at once sent out and the country scoured, and later a party of detectives was put on their trail and much money spent, but all to no purpose, as they were never captured. It was later believed, and is by many today, that this was a part of the Jesse James outlaw gang, for they were well acquainted here, and the ground and the day had evidently been carefully selected, at a time when but few were liable to be at home and when business men were absent.

     Three suspects (not of this county) were arrested and brought to the county seat for identification and trial, but no responsible person could identify them, and really they proved a complete alibi, hence were discharged. William Young was then prosecuting attorney.


     This sprightly town was founded in the month of July, 1869, by Hall Hungate and C. B. Russell, and was incorporated in 1876. It is situated in section 28, township 49, range 25. The first business house was erected by Bell & Erskin. A postoffice was secured in 1871, with H. T. Hartman as postmaster. The first mayor was James H. Barnes. The first school house in town was erected in 1873, at a cost of one thousand five hundred dollars. Miss Lillie Tolbert taught the first school, her wages being twenty-five dollars per month. The number enrolled was sixteen.

     The first male child born was John Ennis, son of G. M. and Tenny Ennis, born in 1871. The first female child born in the village was Nola, daughter of John W. and Franky Endley.

     The first person to die was Mrs. Miller, in July, 1872.



     The first physician of the place was Dr. H. T. Hartman, a native of Lafayette county. The Missionary Baptists held the first religious services in town, on the second floor of the store building of George Emn. The earliest minister was Rev. E. Roth.

     In 1876, a flouring mill was erected by Dr. J. T. Watson, and later operated by Major & Ridgeway. Its first cost was two thousand five hundred dollars; its machinery cost four thousand dollars. In 1880, this milling plant turned out three thousand two hundred barrels of excellent grade flour, a part of which was consumed at home and the balance sent to St. Louis.

     A Masonic lodge was instituted at this point in 1872 -- see chapter on Fraternities elsewhere in this volume. The secret societies of the place at the this time are: The Masonic, Woodmen of America and Mystic Workers.

     The first incorporation of the village -- that of 1876 -- went down, and in 1905 it was reorganized as a village.


     When the first postmaster, H. T. Hartman, was appointed, in 1871, the village was very new and small. The office has grown with the passing years; it is a fourth-class office yet, but doing a large business. In 1903 one rural free delivery route was established at this point, the same extending out and back a distance of almost twenty-five miles. Among the postmasters who have served here may be named Messrs. Hartman, George Phelps, Henry Henrichs, J. M. Hord, James H. Barnes, and the present incumbent, R. A. Roberts, who has served since February, 1989.


     In the month of May, 1910, the following were the business houses of Aullville:
     Banks -- Aullville Bank.
     Drugs -- C. R. Boone.
     Hardware -- Mode Anson.
     General Dealers -- R. A. Roberts, S. P. Philips.
     Grain Dealer -- J. S. Klingenburg & Son.
     Stock Dealers -- Greer Brothers, W. W. Parker and Collins & Littlejohn.
     Blacksmith -- S. Graham.
     Harness Dealer - R. A. Roberts.

Pages 360 - 361

Townships          Contact Me          Links

The data here may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These pages may not be reproduced in any format or presentation by other organizations or persons. Any person or organization desiring to use this material for profit or any form of presentation, must obtain the written consent of the owner or her legal representative.

This page revised January 19, 2004.

Made with 1st Page 2000 - Professional tools for real minds.

Copyright 2001 - 2004, Carmen F. Bein, All Rights Reserved